Our everyday life is full of plastic. Plastic is all around us. Practically everything we own and use is made from plastic, and is having a huge impact on the environment!
One plastic product that has a huge impact on the environment and causes unnecessary ecological damage is the single use plastic water bottle. The whole process of producing plastic bottles has an impact on the environment.
Some key facts about plastic bottles:
- Over 400,000 barrels of oil is used per year in Australia to manufacture the plastic to make the bottles
- Out of all plastic bottles only about 30% are recycled
- Tap water costs 1 cent per litre compared to bottled water which costs $2.53 per litre
- It takes seven litres of water to make a one litre water bottle
- There are 200 billion litres of bottled water consumed worldwide with an estimate of $100 billion dollars
The production, the shipping, the storage, the refrigeration and then the bottles are thrown out, with only a minority of the plastic being recycled while the rest ends up in land fill. The bottles that end up in land fill in turn continue to still impact the environment by creating piles of toxic waste which seeps into the soil and our rivers and oceans.
A much more environmentally friendly, safer and even cheaper solution to bottled water is having your very own Water Filtration System installed in your house to provide you with pure, safe and healthy drinking water for you and your family.
By not buying single use water bottles is a long term behavioural change we can all do easily to help your wallet and especially the planet. The Australian town of Bundanoon in New South Wales, does not sell bottled water and have installed fantastic bubblers and bottle fill stations with filtered water around the town and the school, as good as any bottled water. This community is showing how we can live easily without the single use bottled water.